Control individual devices
To turn specific devices on and off, just follow the pattern: "Hey Google, turn (on/off) the (device name)."
- "Hey Google, turn on the dining room light."
- "Hey Google, turn off the bathroom outlet."
★ Important note ★
Google Assistant is pretty darn smart, but it can get confused by device names. Make sure you say the exact name of the device, as it is set in the IOTAS app. For example, if your living room lights are named "Living room track lights", Google won't respond if you say "Hey Google, turn off the living room overhead lights".
Also, give each device a unique name so that Google isn't confused by which one to turn on or off (e.g. don't name two outlets "Nightstand Lamp").
Check whether your door is locked
For security, your locks cannot be unlocked by voice. However, if your property installed smart locks, you can use these commands to either lock your door or check its status.
- "Hey Google, lock my door."
- "Hey Google, is my door unlocked?"
- "Hey Google, is my door locked?"
Control groups of lights
You can also use your Google Assistant speaker to control all of the lights in your home or all of the lights in a certain room.
- "Hey Google, turn on all of the lights" will turn on every device in your home that has a light icon in the IOTAS app.
- "Hey Google, turn off the living room lights" would turn off any devices in your living room that have a light icon in the IOTAS app.
★ Important note ★
If you'd like to be able to include lamps that you've plugged into a smart outlet, make sure you follow these steps to change the outlet's icon to one of the various available light icons.
Our scenes feature allows you to control one or more devices at once. For example, you could create a "Rise and Shine" scene that automatically turns on your bedroom lights, turns up the thermostat, and turns off the white noise machine plugged into your smart outlet.
Once you create a few scenes, you can ask Google to trigger the automations by following the pattern, "Hey Google, turn on (scene name)". For example, "Hey Google, turn on Rise and Shine".
- "Hey Google, turn on Movie Night." could be used to automatically dim your living room lights and turn down the thermostat.
- "Hey Google, turn on Bedtime" could be used to turn off all your lights when you leave for work.
For more info about how to create scenes, check out these articles.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback