You can rename your home's smart devices and assign them new icons to make them easier to remember. Customizing how your devices appear in the IOTAS app also makes it easier to issue voice commands if you have an Amazon Alexa or Google Assist. For example, "Alexa, turn off Kitchen Outlet 1" can become "Alexa, turn on the Coffee Maker".
Follow these steps to change how your smart devices appear in the IOTAS app:
- Open the IOTAS Home app.
- Press and hold down the icon of the device you'd like to edit. An Edit Name & Icon menu will pop-up.
- Type in the new device name (e.g. "Jorge's beside lamp", "Toaster").
- If you're using voice commands in your home, it's not necessary to include the device's room in the name. Alexa and Google Assist are smart enough to know which room a device is in.
- Tap the icon to the right of the name text box to change the device's icon.
- The IOTAS app, Alexa, and Google Home will respond to a command based on the icon associated with the device. For example, you can name a device "bedside table" instead of "bedside table light". As long as the device has one of the light icons associated with it, it will be recognized as a light by Smart Stories and by voice commands such as "Hey Google, turn off all of the lights".
- Tap Save.
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback